Thanks for printing!  Don't forget to come back to Zerorez Boise for fresh content!

Disinfecting Improperly Can Lead to Lung Problems

Disinfecting Improperly Can Lead to Lung Problems

Many of the products we use in our homes to clean and disinfect contain harmful chemicals that can cause health problems - even products advertised as green or natural may contain these sorts of ingredients. According to the American Lung Association, "Many cleaning supplies or household products can irritate the eyes or throat, or cause headaches and other health problems, including cancer. Some products release dangerous chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Other harmful ingredients include ammonia and bleach. Even natural fragrances such as citrus can react to produce dangerous pollutants indoors.

VOCs and other chemicals released when using cleaning supplies contribute to chronic respiratory problems, allergic reactions and headaches. Studies are underway to assess how these chemicals affect people who have asthma and other respiratory illnesses.1 However, past studies link exposure to chemicals from cleaning supplies to occupational asthma and other respiratory illnesses.

Cleaning supplies and household products containing VOCs and other toxic substances can include, but are not limited to:

  • Aerosol spray products, including health, beauty and cleaning products
  • Air fresheners
  • Chlorine bleach
  • Detergent and dishwashing liquid
  • Dry cleaning chemicals
  • Rug and upholstery cleaners
  • Furniture and floor polish
  • Oven cleaners
hand-disinfection-4954840_1280

When cleaning and disinfecting your home, you should never attempt to do it all at once. Why? Because if you use a large amount of cleaners and disinfectants at one time, you are allowing too many chemicals to roam freely around your home. To keep yourself and your family safe, clean or disinfect one section of your house at a time and ensure that you keep the area well ventilated.

In addition to ventilating your home while cleaning, another important step to disinfecting properly is to read the disclaimer label on the back of your disinfectant bottle. It will tell you that there is anywhere from 1 to 10-minute dwell-time required to reach the 99.9% or 99.99% kill rate of bacteria and viruses (germs) that are described on the label. Dwell-time means that the disinfecting chemical has to be in contact with the surface being disinfected for the entire time specified on the back of the label to be completely effective.

For your cleaning needs, Zerorez is here to help! We are taking extra precautions to ensure your safety during this time.

  • Washing hands regularly
  • Disinfecting equipment regularly.
  • Staying home when they are not feeling well.
  • Wearing medical gloves at each job.
  • Practice social distancing, as appropriate.

Contact Us

208-383-1000